Saturday, September 25, 2010

Handyman!

Today I was a handyman! After sleeping long in the morning I got up, had lazy breakfast, was talking a bit to my flatmate T and had my coffee in bed, while watching TopGear! It was just nice to have this relaxed morning!
After about two hours I started cleaning up and cleaning my room and the common area of the flat! I was bringing order into my clothes, was taking down the dry laundry and was folding them. I suddenly had so much space again, which was an odd feeling!
Anyways, after that I had lunch. The started making something! You see, this house is pretty old, the floor is crooked and there is no central heating. The windows are not really closing properly and there is always a small draft from somewhere! Additionally the doors are not the whole way until the floor, which mean, when somewhere in the flat a window is open it gets cold everywhere!
I wanted to close this gap and wanted to make a draft stopper out of newspaper! So I took some of the read papers we have a lot of in our flat and started! I first took two newspapers and made a roll out of them.
Then I ripped another newspaper apart into the single pages. I scrunched them up into balls of paper!
These balls I then put onto the paper roll made before and fixed them with tape!
Then I tested it, but the crepe tape wasn't strong enough and so I put a layer of normal tape over it to make it more resistant.
I measured the length of the draft stopper, but as you can see it was a bit too long!
So I marked it roughly with a pen and cut it with bread knife.
  
Now it is perfectly fitting under the door, there is no more draft and my room stays the temperature I want it to be! All I needed was some newspaper, some tape and a bread knife!
But as I said, my room and the whole flat doesn't have a central heating system nor radiators. So after making the draft stopper I went downtown to Clas Ohlson and bought a fan heater.
Now I am prepared for the winter and can make my room nice and warm!

~M~

No comments:

Post a Comment