Sunday, November 7, 2010

Sunday Hike!

This morning at 11.30 a.m. I was woken after a good night sleep by a text from J. She asked if I wanted to come with her and T., another German guy living in Oslo, for a walk to Ullevålseter. Since I had just been woken up I wrote her, that I would love to come, but needed at least 1-1,5 hours to get ready!

So I got up, fixed myself, had breakfast and talked shortly to A. I had a nice coffee and wrote on my blog about the Saturday evening. Then I wanted to leave and quickly checked my camera. There I realized, that my memory card was way too full and I had to empty it to be able to take pictures. I had just switched off my laptop and was basically about to leave; So I switched my PC back on and left about 10 minutes after my intended departure!

I hurried down to the metro station at Stortinget and had to run to catch the train. When I came to the platform the sign was stating that the train would come "nå". I was happy that I actually made it on time! When I sat down in the metro I realized, that I had forgotten to validate my ticket and was hoping, that there was no control! Luckily L. had another ticket with her, jumped off the train at one station, validated it and jumped back on the train just in time!
When we arrived at Sognsvann we were looking for T., who was coming by car, but he wasn't there, yet. Instead there were - literally - thousands of other people. The Sognsvann is very very popular by the people of Oslo. So we were waiting there and looking for T. to come with all the other "lemmings" down the path! Eventually he arrived and we made our way towards Ullevålseter
We walked along the lake and then up the hill. It was a nice walk and there were many people walking, running or biking on the path. We were talking about this and that and taking a lot of pictures. After a while we came along St. Åklungen another small lake. It was so cold, that the lake was already frozen and in some parts, I assume, where there is no sun anymore during the day, the ice was pretty thick already!
 
We walked on and eventually came to Ullevålseter, which is a quite big restaurant in the middle of the woods and also quite popular. When we came in it was really full and we even had to wait to get a table. We put off our jackets and went to the counter to get some waffles and coffee/hot chocolate. We sat down and were slowly warming up. The coffee and the waffles with marmalade were helping quite good. 
After some time of talking and warming up we decided to make our way back to the Sognsvann, since it was getting dark already. The problem here in Oslo is, that the twilight phase is very short and that shortly after it seems to get dark it is pitch black outside. So we walked back quickly and when we arrived down at the lake we got a glimpse of the last sun, going down behind the trees. We took some pictures and then walked along the lake back to the metro station. When we arrived it was so dark, that we barely could see the path.
T. went to the car and L., J. and I went to the train. We took it back to Oslo city and the girls got off one station before me. I walked home and was happy to be back and to warm up again. It was so freezing outside, but it was nice. After over 15km of walking I was happy to put up my feet!
I made some tea and switched on the oven to make some fries. It was so super tasty to have some salty fries with mayonnaise again and it was even more tasty, because I found here in the flat a special fries spice, which was really good!
After dinner I was talking shortly to A. and then I was called by a girl from my university. She is in the phase of applying for her year abroad and wanted to talk to me about my time in Helsinki. We had a nice talk about this and that I felt, that she was really happy to get some advice about the year abroad. She really appreciated my time, I could tell, and she was happy, that I was talking so positively about my year in Finland!

Now I am going to relax a bit more, maybe going to shave and watch some series and talk to A.! It was such a nice day and I feel good! In a way it is sad, that my time here in Oslo is over in 6 weeks already! Now, that I found so many nice people it will be hard to leave, although I am looking forward to be back in Germany for some time!

~M~

No comments:

Post a Comment