Monday, March 7, 2011

Rosenmontag!

This morning A. and I had an alarm set! We didn't wanted to sleep too long, since we had planned to go to the Rosenmontagszug (Rose-Monday-Parade), which is basically the climax of the carnival in Aachen! However, the parade starts always at 11.11 am and has to make its way through the whole city to the spot where I wanted to watch it. This meant, that we didn't had to be there before 1 o'clock at the earliest!
So we had a relaxed morning with nice breakfast and had the shortly after a snack to have something in our tummies to not starve while being on the parade. We then dressed in our costumes, got our drinks, beer and Jägermeister, and then made our way down to the city.
When we arrived at the parade it had already started and about 14 groups had already passed. With 120 groups in total this was less of a problem. We found a nice spot in the sun and watched the wagons and people passing by. Soon we also started to collect the candy which traditionally is thrown during the parade.
Both A. and I enjoyed the music and the good atmosphere. We hadn't intended to stay for the whole parade, but somehow it was so much fun that we stayed until all groups had passed. Then we went home and were looking at all the candy we collected. Although we had settled just with the "good stuff" like waffles, crisps and chocolate, we had a huge bag full.
Anyways, we had a good time and now we both are going to get so fat. We simply have so much to eat. I really enjoyed the time though; after all I am from this region, grew up with the celebration of Karneval and, different from my brother, I love it still! I can't deny that I really missed it the last years while being abroad!

~M~

No comments:

Post a Comment