Friday, April 15, 2011

Long Day at Uni!

Today I had a rather long day at uni. Compared to the days I spent in the first year in uni it was nothing, but for my schedule right now it was long!

It all started at 10.30 in the morning, when I left home. I had a meeting with my course in front of our café. The course, Hotel Engineering, was special today. Our lecturer had organized with the engineering department of our university a "behind the scenes" campus tour. 
When we met, the sun was shining very nicely. One of my colleagues, who I also have a group work with gave me back my ready-made book. I had printed it out from a PDF-file and always forgot to bind it properly. Yesterday after the group meeting I mentioned it to her and she agreed to fix it for me, since she has the machine and material for it, how nice of her!
Anyways, we were waiting outside the café and when our lecturer arrived he told us, that the first station of the tour had to be done in groups of five people due to the limited space in the room. So we were waiting in the sun until it was our turn.
The tour then was very interesting and informative. Despite the fun fact, that you basically can control all utilities and equipment like lighting and the blinds from one PC, it was very interesting to see all the facilities and to realize how many systems are working in the background of such an operation. 
We walked around the whole campus and into all buildings. We ended the tour on the roof top terrace, where we had to take a picture; we have been the first group in 10 years to actually get such a tour and such an insight into the systems "behind the scenes"!
Anyways, after this tour we had lunch in the cafeteria and went then to a presentation of the chief editor of the most important German Hospitality Newspaper. He was talking about the trends and future developments in the Hospitality industry, which actually is a quite interesting and important topic; he however managed to present it in such a boring way, that I was happy, when he was done!

Now I am home already for quite some time. I just watched the news and will maybe watch a movie later on. Today there is nothing going on in Bad Honnef; we all have to save ourselves for tomorrow. Tomorrow evening is the graduation party and basically all my colleagues are going, it will be a blast!

~M~

No comments:

Post a Comment