Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Summer day!

This was a super nice summer day here in Finland. Already in the morning when I got up it was warm and sunny. A. was off today and had a hairdresser appointment. When she was telling me that it would take 2-3 hours I decided to go on a cycling tour to a castle ruin about 20km from Ekenäs.So, I quickly looked up which roads to take, packed as a security a map - which stayed all the time packed - and of course some water, since it was so hot already. I left the house at 11 o'clock sharp and made my way through town, where I quickly filled up the tires of my bike and took the road southwards out of town.It was really nice, soon I was out of the town, the bike path ended and I was going over the narrow, but busy country road. When the traffic got less I was finally able to look around, before I so had to focus to go straight on the sideline, since the cars were passing so close.

I took the turn towards Snappertuna, where Raseborgs Slottsruiner, the castle ruin is. The road was even narrower, but not busy at all.However, after about 1km the paved road ended and I had to go over a gravel road. Normally this is no problem, but since I had the old bike of A's father, which could be called a "city bike", it was really hard and uncomfortable. The bike has super thin tires, which is nice on paved roads, but on gravel roads with huge stones and more potholes than road it's - literally - a pain in the a*s.Anyways, I made my way to the castle ruin without a stop. I was wandering around the ruin and was enjoying the sun. A. called me and told me that she was done at the hairdressers and was on her way to the beach.I, however, had no hurry going back. I was taking it slowly. Firstly because of the nice landscape and weather and secondly because I could already feel the 20km of the way there in my legs. For an untrained person, that I became during my studies, it is really a challenge to go with an old bike, which just has three hub gears, over a hilly country road.On the way back I also stopped to take some pictures, since I realized, that the pictures taken while biking were not the best.When I was back in Ekenäs I was so happy to finally drink something more. I had my water with me, but the 600ml were just not enough for a hot summer day like this one. I drank to hydrate myself and ate something.After this small lunch I went down to the beach to join A. The swim in the sea was so refreshing and totally needed, as I realized afterwards. I was thinking, how easy it actually is to go such a distance with the bike. I mean, I was wearing flip-flops, shorts and a normal T-shirt. Now special gear, had no high-tech bike and am untrained. 40km with the bike sounds somehow - for me at least - a lot. Today I realized, that it's not too hard. However, in the evening I was happy to get some more food. And it was extremely good food. We barbecued and A's mum made salad and other stuff and it was again just amazing.Now the summer is really here and I hope it will last. I will now go out again to enjoy the evening sun. The post is already way too long, so I will stop writing now.
~M~

1 comment: