Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Fixing things!

Two days ago I had problems with my bike. I pumped the front tire up before going to the shops. Everything was fine and I did my shopping. On my way back home, though, I felt that the front tire was getting flatter and flatter again. 
Picture from here.
After putting the groceries in the fridge I went outside to pump the tire again. Since it was cold outside and I pumped the tire inside the apartment I thought that maybe the air just got more dense outside (cold air is more dense than warm air) and therefore the tire would be flat.

Anyways, since I was on it I also wanted to pump up the back wheel and then it happened: I ripped off the valve of the tire. Bummer! 


So I went to the closest bike shop and bought a new tire. Actually I bought two. I always was so annoyed that my bike tires have these small valves and not the ones a car has. It is much easier to go to the petrol station to fill up the tires than always doing it by hand. Therefore I decided to exchange the type of tire on both wheels.


For that however I had to drill bigger holes into the rim. I was looking through our tools, but just found stone drills. Since I needed to drill metal they were useless. Luckily there are carpenters working in the house next door and from them I could borrow a drill.


Two quick drills later I was ready to go. I put the tires back on the rims and the wheels back on my bike. Then I pushed it to the next petrol station and filled the tires. Now I have always nicely high pressure in the tires and my bike is faster than ever. Nice, nice!

~M~

No comments:

Post a Comment