Saturday, June 4, 2011

Along the Rhine!

This morning I got up rather early. I had breakfast and packed my stuff. At 10 o'clock, when the library opened I was there. I was working a bit on my thesis proposal and was learning for my last exam on Monday. After something like 2 1/2 hours I was simply too tired and not motivated anymore; it was way too warm in the library and the weather was just too good, I couldn't stay in the library!

I went home and fixed my lunch and was eating it in front of the TV. I had coffee and was checking my facebook meanwhile. I felt bad for not going out, but I simply didn't know what to do; I didn't wanted to walk through the woods again, I didn't wanted to go to the island, but I also didn't wanted to stay in.
Then suddenly I had an idea. Since I didn't wanted to walk in the mountains today I decided to walk along the Rhine where everything is flat. I quickly did some research on the internet, just to know where I wanted to walk and then I left.
I walked down to the Rhine and walked upstream, or in southern direction, however you want. I walked along a tiny path directly by the water. I walked from Bad Honnef over the border into the next Federal State, Rheinland-Pfalz, passed the next small towns, Rheinbreitbach and Unkel and then stopped in Erpel. 
From Erpel I took the ferry to the other side of the Rhine, to Remagen. From there I walked back, downstream or in northern direction. I walked and walked and hoped that the weather wouldn't change. It was super hot the whole day and in the afternoon the air got humid and thunderstorm clouds were coming up.
I was hurrying back. I didn't had anything to protect me from the rain and still had to take the ferry from Rolandseck over to Bad Honnef. Luckily it didn't start raining and when I arrived back in the flat the sun was shining again.
After all I calculated, that I walked some 20km+ again today and now my legs and feet are hurting. I still dont have proper shoes for such long hikes, which makes it a lot worse in the evening. However, I have to say I really like hiking nowadays. I always loved walking, but this walking over longer distances with a clear destination is something else and I love it!
 Now I had dinner and afterwards watched a movie. I am knackered from the day, but it feels good. I wont set an alarm tomorrow, I need to sleep long every once in a while! Tomorrow I wont be doing anything for the thesis proposal, I will focus on the preparation of my last exam on Monday!

~M~

No comments:

Post a Comment