Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Always check your passport!

Wow, again, so much time passed since my last post. As every week it is incredible, how time goes by. Now it is already November and everything started off all over again. I am back in Helsinki, after a long Weekend in Ekenäs.

On Friday directly after Uni I went with the train from Helsinki to Ekenäs. A's sister in law owns a hotel there and asked if we could work there for this one evening. They had a group of over 160 people there celebrating some occasion and as the hotel is not very small and the staff not used to so many guest they needed backup. We had to be there round five to get a briefing and to prepare everything, the party began round seven. I was a bit nervous, not because of the work, this was a piece of cake for me, but because of the language barrier. I still do not really speak Finnish or Swedish, so it was really difficult for me. As the going got tougher, decided to stay in the back and clean all the used dishes and glasses. This was anyways necessary, as the guests were drinking so much, that we had to use every glass at least twice this evening. We worked until half one and then went home and fell asleep right away.

The next day we slept long, had a relaxed breakfast and went out for a walk. We passed A's brother's house and before we could say anything we had Sandy, their dog, with us walking through the town and woods. It was so nice to walk through the autum air and smell the fallen leaves. Awesome this Finland during this time. In the afternoon we went to the same brother to have a really small get-together with some chosen family members to celebrate his birthday, which had been two days before. We had loads of cake and sweet buns and of course the obligatory coffee and cognac. In the evening we went to J's place to meet some friends A, didn't see for ages. We were there round six o'clock and started to eat right away, which meant, that the party was dying already round eleven and so we went home. We just watched a movie in the TV and called it a night quite early again.

Sunday was again chilled and relaxed, with some autum air and good food. We went to A's other brother who had, obviously as they are twins, had his birthday also some days ago. We again celebrated with cake, coffee and cognac. Typical finnish birthday. It was different however, as the house was full of small children who were all looking quite sceptical to me, because of the funny noises which came out of my mouth, making no sense at all to them. A tried to translate and explain, but still the missing communication between us meant more insecure sights in my direction. Anyways, I was happy that I was welcomed so warm and especially, that I met some people A was always talking about. It's really interesting to suddenly see these people face to face and realize, why she likes them so much.

The beginning of the week right now is always starting off really quite for me, as I am off on Mondays. I went with A to Turku and spent the day with her there, we had students lunch together, she was working for uni, I was stumbling the internet and in the evening we got food from an Indian Restaurant. We ordered two portions and took them home, already, when we received the bag with the food we were speechless, how much it was. But when we came home and upacked, it was over. Sooo much food for just two persons. We were eating as much as we could, but in the end half the food was still there. Incredible good food, incredible value for money. This was definitly not the last time that we got food from this place. The next time however, we already decided, we will take one portion for two people. If we are still hungry, we just eat some ice cream or something ;-) After the delicious dinner I drove back to Ekenäs over deserted country roads in the middle of the night. Really an experience.

Today was a long day. A's parents asked me if I could drive them to the airport and then take the car with me. We had to start at 4.30 in Ekenäs to drive to Helsinki Airport. After dropping them off I drove to Kannelmäki where I arrived round 6.00. I directly went to bed, as the night before was pretty short. At 6.30 my phone rang and A's parents called me. The passport of A's father, N., was expired and before he could get a new one the gate was already closed and they had to change the booking of their flight. I went to pick them up and the drove me home again. They wanted to go back to Ekenäs to get N a new passport. I shortly went back to bed, decided then however to get up and have breakfast with my flatmates. In the afternoon I went to uni and left the class a bit earlier, as A's parents, N & H, were picking me up directly from school, as they wanted me to drive them finally to the airport. Everything went (hopefully) smoothly then and I could finally relax. I went to the sauna, which was feeling so good after a day like that. Anyways, it was not over, I just came back from... guess where... yes, the airport! We had to pick up my flatmate's sister. She is visiting him for a couple of days here in Helsinki.

It's really nice to get to know new people every day. That's why I am here and that's what I am doing everyday. I will stop writing now and join them in the kitchen.

So far...
~M~

No comments:

Post a Comment