Thursday, August 6, 2009

Lippu Turkuun, kiitos!

I'm in Finland now. I came yesterday with the plane to Helsinki and took from there the bus to Turku, where A. lives. There are quite good Express Bus connections by the company Matkahuolto. Anyways public transport in Finland is good and really cheap. The 160km just cost me 27.50€, for students who have the finish students ID it's less than 15€. This is the same with the trains of VR, the finish railways. Even the InterCity trains, which are really luxurious, compared to German standards, are cheap and really fast.

Now I am going to stay for a couple of days here in Turku or Abo, which is the swedish name for the City. Many people do not know that Finland is bilingual. Well actually it's tri-lingual, as there are the Sami up north in Lappland. But there are two official languages, Finish and Swedish, as mentioned. 6% of the population are swedish-speaking Fins, who are living in the south-west of Finland at the coast. So in the future I might write especially about cities and places with both names, as "Turku/Abo" for example.

Afterwards we are going to meet some friends of A. in her home town Ekenäs from where we are going to Croatia on holidays. I am so relaxed right now and will now go out to get some tan already, that I don't burn myself when travelling.

~M~

No comments:

Post a Comment